DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Observations on (this) dnncommunity.org website

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

I have seen a lot of work and effort into each recent DNN release.  A core of dedicated folk have worked very hrd to inprove our beloved product.

Thee are obvious problems though, The management of the forums seems to have been neglected and there are broken links on the web pages, which will probably  not inspire confidence in others who may want to explore or employ DNN.

There are many posts. particularly in this forum "about DNN Community.org" that are obviously posted in the wrong forum.  Three questions come to mind. (actually more than three, but this is the start)

1. Who has access and  responsibility for managing the dnncommunity.org website.

2. do the moderators have to ability to move posts that were inappropriately posted on the incorrect forum?

3. How would one volunteer to help in mnaging, moderating and what would be the constraints?

I have been hosting websites with DNN snce version 2 and in many ways find it technically superior to most other CMS products.  I have recently been working with the Joomla CMS and some with WordPress.  My observation is that, while those basic frameworks have less capability, are not as robust, and to me, somewhat illogically organized. the support eco systems, like the main website for each, are more robust and much better organized than that for DNN. 

Veteran Member

Kudos for offering to help. I'm sure that you'll be hearing from the moderators!
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Well there are a few moderators that keep an eye on the forums and we do it quite actively TBH.
        But I guess the focus is mostly on answering questions.
        TBH I now see that you are right and that there are a lot post in this forum that should be elsewhere.
        I moved the ones that should be moved now, if you see any I missed, please let me know.

I have been trying to find out a many times why users keep posting in the "About dnncommunity.org" forum.
        We already renamed it but that does not seem to make a difference. I asked user in their thread why they posted in there but got no replies. I would really like to know what the reason for this is.

About the site in general: it is,  as DNN, is a community effort.
        So if find dead links or errors, please post them in this forum so they can be taken care of.
        I'll also discuss this in the DNN awareness group.
        IMO the place where we could use way more volunteers is for the documentation site.
        I can introduce to the DNN Awareness group if you want to volunteer (for documentation or any other way)?

Advanced Member

In addition to Timo's answer I want to let you know we can also use more testers for RC's. Let me know if you are interested and I will contact you
          Mariette Knap
          Microsoft MVP Alumni

New Around Here

Rebarding dead links:

All the links, except "download DNN" in the How To> Download and install page produce 404 errors

Veteran Member

OK thank you. This was casued by a restructuring of the documentation site.
              I corrected the links.
              If you find anything else please let us know.

New Around Here

Regarding the posts in "About dnncommunity": I've been running a large community site for years. In my experience you should keep the number of forum groups as low as possible, making them as generic as you can. When the volume is high enough, you can create more forums/groups.

There are too many forums and forum groups on this site vs. the level of activity. The categorization are too specific, e.g. "Building extensions" is split into 6 sub-forums, some of them with no activity at all. One forum "Building extensions" would surely be enough. Too many will kill the activity as topics will be overlooked.

My experience is that with too many (and narrow) choices, users tend to find a broad/generic category to post their question. In this case: "About dnncommunity".

I'm quite sure the overall activity level would benefit from reducing the number of forums to a minimum and then add more later, when needed.

Advanced Member

I think forums in the format we have here are outdated. I prefer a Q&A format with tags.
                  Mariette Knap
                  Microsoft MVP Alumni

Posted By Mariette Knap on 18 May 2020 01:14 AM
                    I think forums in the format we have here are outdated. I prefer a Q&A format with tags.

I agree with Mariette that a newer and more powerful interface would be more useful (and usable) that our "old" forums. Something like Q&A like www.dnnsoftware.com/answers or Stackoverflow, for instance.

Francisco

Veteran Member

Posted By allane on 17 May 2020 03:56 AM
                      Regarding the posts in "About dnncommunity": I've been running a large community site for years. In my experience you should keep the number of forum groups as low as possible, making them as generic as you can. When the volume is high enough, you can create more forums/groups.

There are too many forums and forum groups on this site vs. the level of activity. The categorization are too specific, e.g. "Building extensions" is split into 6 sub-forums, some of them with no activity at all. One forum "Building extensions" would surely be enough. Too many will kill the activity as topics will be overlooked.

My experience is that with too many (and narrow) choices, users tend to find a broad/generic category to post their question. In this case: "About dnncommunity".

I'm quite sure the overall activity level would benefit from reducing the number of forums to a minimum and then add more later, when needed.

I agree some could be removed. We'll have a look at that.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved