DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

One database, multiple sites

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Growing Member

Is there a way to have two sites, a standard site and a mobile site and they both operate off the same database or data source, or they are connected so that when a user posts on one site, either in the forums or journal shows up in both sites.

Veteran Member

Posted By Jeff on 03 Jul 2019 06:04 PM

Is there a way to have two sites, a standard site and a mobile site and they both operate off the same database or data source, or they are connected so that when a user posts on one site, either in the forums or journal shows up in both sites.

Yes, I think that's possible, but I didn't actually use it myself.
      (obviously you can have multiple portals in one install, but they don't share any data by default)
      DNN has something built in called Site / Portal Groups.
      AFAIK there's no interface for it in DNN 9 as this is functionality for the commercial version, but there used to be a module to manage it also on the Community edition. If that still works, I don't know.

https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=dnnportalgroups

Not very accessible, but it's in there somewhere :-)

Side note: I don't know how much the two sites differ, but you can also get quite far using either a responsive theme or for instance have both the mobile and desktop alias on the same Portal and load a different style sheet of either of them

Veteran Member

FYI, I emailed the original develop of this module, to ask if he knows if it still works

Veteran Member

you may share user accounts (profiles) and modules (content) between multiple sites within a DNN instance using DNN sitegroup feature. Modules need to support cross-site sharing (instance based data).
          You need SiteGroup Editor (https://github.com/SCullm...Sitegroups/releases, might work with DNN 9.0.0 to 9.2.2 only or https://github.com/SCullman/Connect.Sitegroups - release in Codeplex repository).

Veteran Member

Posted By Sebastian Leupold on 04 Jul 2019 07:35 AM

you may share user accounts (profiles) and modules (content) between multiple sites within a DNN instance using DNN sitegroup feature. Modules need to support cross-site sharing (instance based data).
            You need SiteGroup Editor (https://github.com/SCullm...Sitegroups/releases, might work with DNN 9.0.0 to 9.2.2 only or https://github.com/SCullman/Connect.Sitegroups - release in Codeplex repository).

Thanks, I missed that one

Growing Member

Thanks for that advice Timo and Sebastian. The way I have it set up as of now, but I can change anything at any time, is the desktop site is www.domainname.com, and the mobile site is m.domainname.com.
              Timo was able to help me with the mobile redirect as discussed in a different thread earlier in the week, but my question to follow up on the original question is, can I set this up now that both sides of the site are already up and running or can I somehow integrate them together now? And, also, for future sites, am I able to set a site alias to use a different subdomain like the example I mentioned earlier in this comment or does it have to stay under the domainname.com/folder/whatever etc?
              Hope that makes sense...

Veteran Member

Jeff,

Not sure I understand your current configuration.
                Do you have a separate DNN installation for each site or did you create 2 sites in one installation?
                There's not a "merge two sites button", although you might be able to do this using the Site import and export functionality.
                (I didn't use that much yet in DNN9 TBH)
                FYI, you can have one Site / Portal in DNN that is available under multiple domainnames.
                So you can also switch the domainname (which is what we do often when we started a new site under a temporary domainname and it goes live) HTH

Growing Member

Yes as it is now, there's two separate sites. The domainname.com and the m.domainname.com, both are separate installs. I can start the m. site over if needed to be able to do this or whatever it takes.

Veteran Member

Posted By Jeff on 05 Jul 2019 02:25 PM

Yes as it is now, there's two separate sites. The domainname.com and the m.domainname.com, both are seperate installs. I can start the m. site over if needed to be able to do this or whatever it takes.

Even if you want the two seperated, that's not needed.
                    You can have multiple site in one installation and the use wiould never notice they are in the same installation.|

Growing Member

What about the m. site being a mobile site vs the domainname.com site being desktop? The content text is mostly the same, except the layout is different and the images are set to work with mobile devices, whereas, the desktop site is set to certain dimensions, and in the social site, the journal would need to work together.
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved