DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Permissions error?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Veteran Member

On a site, there are lots of things that fail to load for not logged in users, including images, css files, and js files.

I created a test page and applied the Xcillion skin, ro rule out a skin problem. 

The logo file isn't loading.  Inspecting shows:      

"my

If I right-click on the broken image logo and select "Open image in new tab" I get redirected to the login page.

I have a copy on the DNN install on a local server, and everything works perfectly.So ... it's a permissions problem because everything works if I login.I double checked, and the correct IIS user has full access to the website directory and subfolders.

What stupid mistake am I making?

Joe Craig
    DNN MVP
    Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Well I'll answer my own question.

I compared the security settings for the site that worked with the copy that didn't work. I found that a couple of "other" users had privileges to the working site directory, but not to the non-working site. Those users are NOT the IIS User in the app Pool.

But who cares! Adding them caused things to work.

That's good enough for now!
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Mostly that's caused by not having anonymous authentication set to "Application pool identity" in IIS for that site

Veteran Member

TImo,

Where, exactly, is that setting.

In IIS, I have Anonymous Authentication "enabled"

In the App Pool section, Identity is ApplicationPoolIdentity.

I'm I missing something else?
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Select the Server or a site > IIS > Authentication > Anonymous Authentication > Edit (on the right) > Anonymous user Identity: Application Pool Identity

HTH

Veteran Member

To give my two cents in addition to Timo's answer: If you choose the Application Pool Identity (instead of IUSR, and I always use the Application Pool Identity), the Modify permission for the web site has to be granted to this identity, e.g. if your AppPool is called "MyDNNSite", the identity is "IIS AppPool\MyDnnSite".

It is also a good practice to grant the database permissions to this identity. When the SQL Server is on the same machine as the IIS, it is the identity mentioned above, otherwise you have to use the web server's name followed by a $-sign, eg. "MYDOMAIN\WEBSERVER$". When the two machines are not in the same domain, you either have to setup a trust, or use an SQL Server Login (which means that username and password have to be in the connection string in web.config in clear text. I never tried the trust stuff. When both machines do not belong to a domain, an SQL Server Login is required.

I do not guarantee for the correctness of these statements, but this is how I understood it. If anyone knows better, please let me know.

Happy DNNing!
              Michael

Michael Tobisch
              DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
              DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Thanks, guys!

Was set to IUSR ...
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group
                You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved