DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

PersonaBar errors

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

We are struggling to  get a fully working DNN 9.1.1. Out of the blue, a few days ago, Superusers were met with a 500 error first thing in the morning. Other users are fine. We cannot find any trace of server updates or file updates on the server that may have caused this. The error comes from the PersonaBar and is:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Users.UserProfile.GetPropertyValue(String propName)
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Users.UserProfile.get_PreferredTimeZone()
       at Dnn.PersonaBar.Library.Containers.PersonaBarContainer.GetConfigration(PortalSettings portalSettings)
       at ASP.desktopmodules_admin_dnn_personabar_usercontrols_personabarcontainer_ascx.__RenderPersonaBarPanel(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
       etc .....

We have tried (without changing the error):
       Setting the Default value for PreferredTimeZone in [ProfilePropertyDefinition] to '0'
       Updating Userprofile for thisPropertyDefinitionD to '0'

We have tried upgrading ourselves out of this (on a test version of the site) first by upgrading to DNN 9.3.2 (All but 3 of the 21 DLLs failed to load) and subsequently by going straight to DNN 9.8.0 (again jus 3 DLLs were left

All of the Upgrade succeeds except for installation of the PersonaBar. The end result remains a 500 error.
       There are 23 \Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\ .log.resources files which are all empty
       The installer log file reports
          DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start InstallPackage:D:\DotNetNukeUpgrade\Install\Module\Dnn.PersonaBar.Extensions_09.08.01_Install.zip
          ... and the 22 lines of: [ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Error creating component installer.
       The file Dnn.PersonaBar.Extensions_09.08.01_Install.zip remains in the Install\Module folder (unblocked, correct permissions)
       \DesktopModules\Admin\Dnn.PersonaBar\Resources\LocalResources.en-GB.resources has the right permissions
       The URL on running the upgraded site (after upgrade straight to 9.8.1) returns an error suggesting use of a deprecated (and now removed) method (GetTabModuleSettings):
      error=Method+not+found%3a+%27System.Collections.Hashtable+DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettings.GetTabModuleSettings(Int32)%27.&content=0

We run OpenWebstudio, Glanton AD, Porto v4 skin and Azure Authentication (which uses NewtonSoft json 9.0.0 intalled successfully on DNN 9.1.1) but little else

Perhaps the way out is to manually install the PersonaBar package. The trouble is we can't do this via the UI. Can that be done from command line?

Alternatively does anyone have any other suggestions for getting us back up and running?

Thanks for any help you people can offer!

Veteran Member

Are there really references to DNN 9.8.1? It looks as if you did (perhaps accidentally) that upgrade.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Our last effort was to (deliberately!) upgrade straight from 9.1.1 to DNN 9.8.1 to see if we could override the errors. (had upgraded asp.net befrehand). Realised we need to update OWS too and that got rid of the last error for a deprecated (now removed) call. Now when attempting to run DNN 9.8.1 (with everything successfully installed other than the PersonaBar) we are still left with the original error from 9.1.1:

2021-01-11 08:53:13,474 [EHSWEB][Thread:39][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - ~/Default.aspx?tabid=223&error=terminate
        System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
           at DotNetNuke.Entities.Users.UserProfile.GetPropertyValue(String propName)
           at DotNetNuke.Entities.Users.UserProfile.get_PreferredTimeZone()
           at Dnn.PersonaBar.Library.Containers.PersonaBarContainer.GetConfigration(PortalSettings portalSettings)
           at ASP.desktopmodules_admin_dnn_personabar_usercontrols_personabarcontainer_ascx.__RenderPersonaBarPanel(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)
           at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
         .... etc

Thanks for any furhter insights...

Mike

Veteran Member

If you can, revert and try to follow the suggested upgrade path. And, check functionality and upgrade modules at every step.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks Jo. We have done that. First we tried 9.1.1 to 9.3.2. Only when that didn't work did we try to go straight to 9.8.1

Our problem is that:

• We can't test after an upgrade because we can't login with host credentials - the cause of the problem in the first place
            • We can't see any error messages in the install logs that give a clue as to why the install of the PersonaBar fails

I'll repeat 9.1.1 to 9.3.1 and then to 9.8.1 in case I can make that work

Veteran Member

Was 9.1.1 fully working?
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

No it wasn't. The thing that has prompted this upgrade was that:

• 6 days ago we had DNN 9.1.1 running with no problems at all (with Porto v4, Glanton AD and Azure authentication and OpenwebStudio). We have a very large intranet.
                • 5 days ago when SuperUsers logged on they received a 500 error. All other users are fine.
                • The error is: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at DotNetNuke.Entities.Users.UserProfile.GetPropertyValue(String propName)   at DotNetNuke.Entities.Users.UserProfile.get_PreferredTimeZone()   at Dnn.PersonaBar.Library.Containers.PersonaBarContainer.GetConfigration(PortalSettings portalSettings)   at ASP.desktopmodules_admin_dnn_personabar_usercontrols_personabarcontainer_ascx.__RenderPersonaBarPanel(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)   at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)   etc .....
                • We have tried to change the parameters on the Portal and User Profiles as it seems this type of error is known to other users on 9.1.1
                • Below I've pasted UserProfile and [ProfilePropertyDefinition] additions we have added to get around the problem (we use Portal 0 - which is where another person found a similar problem, apparently other portals being fine)
                • If we could correct this error then I suspect we would be back on track both on 9.1.1 and with upgrades.
                •  

Veteran Member

Strange issue, you already tried a lot, so I'm not sure my response will help you.
                  I think I would try to create a new user, promote that to Super User and see if that user can login.
                  If it does compare that user with the other users.
                  Or you could try resetting the persona bar (make a backup :-)) by removing the folder

/DesktopModules/Admin/Dnn.PersonaBar/Resources

But I don't expect to fix your issue.
                  And if you find a way out of this, please do the upgrade. 9.1.1 has it's issues TBH (as you now know ;-))

New Around Here

Thanks Timo.

Can I just check what you are suggesting? By "Or you could try resetting the persona bar (make a backup :-)) by removing the folder". Are you suggesting I remove the folder then re-run install.aspx with the PersonaBar package that remains in the install folders? Thanks - and don't worry we are dong all such experiments on a copy of the site!

.... and I'm assuming I leave the DLLs in place in the bin folder..

Veteran Member

Hi Mike,

AFAIK, DNN re-generates the folder when you re-start it.

Best, Timo

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved