DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Can Not Upgrade from DNN 7.4.1 to DNN 7.4.2 + versions

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Growing Member

Now I'm on 7.4.1 and no errors in tasks, should I disable all of them and try again ?

Veteran Member

I would just go ahead and upgrade, as the errors occur only after you have upgraded.

Once upgraded, you'll need to try to figure out which tasks are failing. Here are some thoughts/suggestions.

How often are you getting errors?

Besides looking at the Event Log, take a look at the Host/Schedule page. If you examine the history sections of the various tasks, you might be able to identify the task that is failing.

I'd guess that a module on your site has an associated scheduled task. If that is true, then upgrading that module should remove the error.

The other possibility is a zombie task that is not used/needed any more.

Disabling tasks one by one should show which on is causing the error.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

The "Request timed out" appear immediately (and forever) after upgrade, so it was not possible do anything in portal, just restore whole backup.

Anyway, schedule tasks seems to be right direction, upgrade to DNN 7.4.2 is now successful!
        All this is done in testing server, will monitor it for a while, then do upgrade in production server.
        Following procedure works:
        1) in old portal disable all task one by one. And something got my attention:
        two tasks had "Retry time lapse" interval higher than "frequency" so Update button didn't proceed until I fixed this.
        That's maybe piece of issue affecting CoreScheduler exception
        2) upgrade to 7.4.2
        3) re-enable all original tasks (surprisingly no errors in schedule logs)

Scheduler is still not healthy, because upgrade 7.4.2 to 8.0.4 failed due to same issue, but action with disable/enable tasks worked again. So now testing server run at 8.0.4 but new issue appear :-(
        8.0.4 seems like doesn't support MinimalExtropy theme, so everything is broken. Is that true?

Veteran Member

For the scheduler, which task are the problems. Are they tied to specific modules? If so, have those modules been upgraded to versions compatible with 8.0.4.

Between 7.4.2 (I think) and 8.0.4 the DDR Menu replaced the SolPartMenu. I think that the MinimalExtropy theme/skin uses SolPart for the menus and also in containers.

It's fairly easy to modify a theme to replace SolPart with DDR, and you will find some help with that at https://www.dnnsoftware.c...wiki?search=solpart.

If you need help with that, just ask.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

An alternative would be to simply switch to a different skin. I think that both Gravity and Xcillion are included in 8.0.4.

Of course if you've made any structural changes, or don't like those newer skins, you will need to make changes to them to match what you had with MinimalExtropy.
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

I have some update: today when I return back to office, portal in testing server again face Timeout issue.
              It seems like when site shutdown due to inactivity, scheduler failed during portal start.

Now I tried to enable tasks one-by-one, and execute "Restart application" in portal after enabling every task (to simulate inactivity shutdown).
              Timeout happen after I enable "Purge users Online" while it has set "Run on Event" = "APPLICATION_START" . If set "Run on Event" = "none", then timeout doesn't happen.
              So I assume this setting is wrong. Not sure what was default.
              Also I noticed my "Scheduler mode" = "Request method" , this is default and correct setting ?

Concerning your question: all tasks should came from DNN installation. I think I didn't add any manually, or tie to specific module.
              And thanks for your efforts and spending your time with me !

Veteran Member

Yes, "Request Method" is the correct choice.

I think that my brain was on vacation when I wrote that.  "Timer " mode is the correct choice.

You should switch to that, and you'll need to track down the problems again.

Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Ok, will keep set "Request Method". In latest DNN 9.x, default mode is "Timer Method" so it confused me.
                  Anyway, it seems "Request timed out" has been solved, testing server run stable.
                  Now I focus to fix MinimalExtropy skin, I will create new topic for this.

Growing Member

Ok, I set it, seems to be working.

Growing Member

Hi, upgrade of production server is done (temporarily just to 9.1.1), there seems to be some leftovers related to "Admin menu". Admin menu keep appear at the end of main menu, althought most of sub-items doesn't include any contents (Bulk email, Solution, Search engine,. etc).

How to clean it ? Or is it related to MinimalExtropy skin used ?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 2 of 2 << < 12

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved