DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Growing Member

I can not explain the chhannge in behaviour but I have fixed the issue in the past by changing the alias settings from canonical to redirect. That way all connected urls to a portal are redirected to the primary. As you can not get to DNN, it would be something to set in the database, using SSMS

Veteran Member

This sounds like some kind of database inconsistency.
      Normally pages don't disappear, but when you add and move a lot of pages it could be that duplicate pages name issues arise(?)
      I guess you already stopped and started the application pool?
      BTW is it a Multi Lingual site?

Growing Member

Posted By Tycho de Waard - Tjeps on 8/10/2023 8:43 AM
        I can not explain the chhannge in behaviour but I have fixed the issue in the past by changing the alias settings from canonical to redirect. That way all connected urls to a portal are redirected to the primary. As you can not get to DNN, it would be something to set in the database, using SSMS

Would you please refer me to SSMS docs or some guide on how to do this? :-)

Growing Member

Posted By Timo Breumelhof (40F) on 8/10/2023 9:18 AM

This sounds like some kind of database inconsistency.
          Normally pages don't disappear, but when you add and move a lot of pages it could be that duplicate pages name issues arise(?)
          I guess you already stopped and started the application pool?
          BTW is it a Multi Lingual site?

Yes, restarted, stopped, start...
          Yes, it is a multilngual site...

Veteran Member

Ok.
            There are issues that can arise when you add lots of pages or move them in combination with ML.
            Unfortunately it's not clear what combination causes this or else it would probably already have been fixed :-(

I have had it too a few times and the issues were caused by database inconsistencies.
            I have some database scripts I run to check for these issues.
            Do you have any SQL experience?

Veteran Member

Another thing is that you have to have one primary portalAlias per language and no "neutral primary alias" or else endless redirects can occur..
              Having that configured in a different way can lead to Home page redirect issues, but as you have it on other pages too...

This sounds like something that may have been caused by conflicting URLs saved to the TabUrls table.  With this being something that we can't see, I'm unsure of the exact queries to use to help you.  It partially depends on how much configuration has already happened over time.  For example, sometimes there isn't a homepage TabID to query for, unless that setting has been saved at some point.  Otherwise, it's just the first public page in the site's page hierarchy.  

However, if you're able to determine which TabID/URL is correct, you should be able to begin building a query while looking at the TabUrls table.  Once you can drill down to a query that only shows the URLs for the homepage, you can begin to make some new decisions.  

Growing Member

Thank you everyone for your all your instant responses. I'm a senior full stack web dev with experience on almost every language and database but it's my first DNN experience ever.

That being said, we can certainly narrowing it down to the BULK PAGES actions, which I tried many multiple times. Luckly, I have literally just started configuring this brand new install and there's very little work in it thus far so, I'm just going to delete the entire install and start from scratch again. It seems extreme but in reality I think it's much safer, I don't want to deal with any future Pages-related issues or be messing with the DB so early in the process. I've learnt quite a bit so far and the install takes minutes... no big deal.

THANK YOU!!

Hmmm... I use bulk pages a lot, actually.  I haven't run into any issues using it myself.  If you run into it again in the new instance, please share the text you used in the editor.  

In the meantime, you should know that when you add bulk pages, they will use the Default Page Template when the pages are created.  So, they'll all have the same permissions and a single HTML module in the ContentPane.  :)  

Growing Member

ok cool, I could share the text I ran:

I started with this block, got errors (obviously)

Payment>Individual
                      Payment>Individual>Proof of Payment 480.9H
                      Payment>Employee / Corporations
                      Payment>Employee / Corporations>Proof of Payment 480.9H
                      Payment>Employee / Corporations>Payment for Special Contribution 1.5%
                      Payment>Fines To Pay DTOP                
                      Payment>Payment Plan                
                      Payment>Priced Debt        
                      Services>Monthly Excise Taxes Return on Gasoline        
                      Services>Monthly Excise Taxes Return on Gasoline>History File Form AS 2225A
                      Services>Service Charge Payment                
                      Services>Certifications                
                      Services>Electronically based extension                
                      Services>Copy based return electronically                
                      Services>Pay Stub (Central Government)                
                      User Options>UserProfile                
                      User Options>Dashboard                
                      User Options>changepass                
                      Help Desk>Reverso                
                      Help Desk>W2 and Informatives                
                      Help Desk>Pruebas Pagos                
                      Payment History                                
                      Seguros Publicos>Demanda de Clase                
                      Seguros Publicos>Resultados de su ReclamaciĆ³n       

Then I watched YT tuts and learnt the format is

Payment
                      >Individual     

But Payment page was already created... so I tried something like this (or similar, can't remember exactly) while selecting Payment as the parent... this obviously got me other errors, because I have child and grandchild...

Individual
                      >Proof of Payment 480.9H
                      Employee / Corporations
                      Employee / Corporations
                      >Proof of Payment 480.9H
                      >Payment for Special Contribution 1.5%

So I ended up adding only one level at the time while selecting different Parent Pages but then I gave up and found out my Home page was missing... :-( the rest is history... lol

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved