DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

opening up DNN site to world and slow server

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have two questions.

Introduction: I have programmed in DNN a web store which is connected to ERP program. Now I have customer who sells products (potatote seeds). I am working alongside with system administrator. Site is hosted on his server.

1. Speed problems. Server is slow. Simple select * from table in SSMS works 3x slower than on my average personal computer. System administrator said to my surprise that server will always be slower than personal computer because server is setup for security, not speed. I said to myself WTF DOOD. What is your opinion? Should I just rent some server online? Customer has already paid to this system administrator for server, but I have not yet been paid.

2. DNN installations has 2 sites (B2B and B2C shop). What do I need to setup in IIS and DNN in order to access second portal externally? First website was opened succesfully, but if i do this: http://externalUrl/Portal2Url it doesn't work, but it works on localhost. System admin says he doesn't know how to do this but I am thinking this is his job, not job of a programmer? Any link to tutorial for this. I am not too familiar with this system admin stuff, I am programmer.

Veteran Member

If a server is slow, it's slow.  You can build very secure servers without sacrificing performance.  Anyone that says otherwise might need to update their hardening techniques.  In your case, it might be worth your time and budget to hire a host that offers a managed service where you don't need to manage the server yourself.  Our favorite for this continues to be Applied Innovations.  

Normally, to allow a website to respond to a URL, you either create a new website in IIS and ensure the domain name that it should respond to is included in the list of domain names in the Binding setting of the website.  

If the other domain name is found in the same instance of the DNN website, then you might not need to create a new website in IIS.  Depending on your requirements, you might be able to simply add a new binding to the current website, assuming that this DNN instance has multiple sites (portals) installed.  

New Around Here

Server is slow because server is virtual machine.

Physical machine would surely be faster.

What is standard practice for dnn hosting: physical machine or virutual machine? Why would physical machine be less safe?

Veteran Member

The fact that it's virtual or physical doesn't really matter as it relates to performance. What matters is how much power your server has - virtual or physical.  A physical machine has many other downsides... 

Having a physical machine means that you'll be responsible for the lifetime maintenance of the various components and you'll need to have a place to properly store it (like a data center). 

So, if a hard drive goes down, you need to go to the data center and perform the work. If a memory chip goes bad, you're doing it again.  

When hosting is virtual, you won't ever have any idea what the hardware is and when it's being worked on.  You just use the server. 

Security concerns for the Windows and website configuration are identical at the server level.  

Going back to the root question now... 

If the server is slow, you need to increase the resources.  If the server is virtual, you usually can just update the settings to increase performance, or upgrade your plan with your hosting provider.  If it's physical, you'll need to buy new memory and/or get an upgraded server that has a faster CPU configuration. 

Veteran Member

To give my 2 cents:

It could be a network or network interface problem. Check the bandwidth and ask your provider for latency tests. Check the configured TCP Chminey Offload options.

I recommend to create alerts in SQL Server Agent for errors with a severity >= 16, and Errors 823-825. Read Agent Alerts Not Configured - Brent Ozar Unlimited® for more information. Also Error 121 (Semaphore timeout period has expired) could be of interest. If you are on SQL Server Express, you can implement these alerts as well, Activating and Configuring Database Mail in MS SQL Server Express Edition should give you the idea how... Sorry, this seems not to be possible in SQL Server Express as it depends on the SQL Server Agent service running.

It could also be a virus scanner problem. Have you defined the exclusions proposed on your SQL Server machine (read How to choose antivirus software to run on computers that are running SQL Server - Microsoft Support for more information)? Also AV and App Control on a firewall could cause problems, especially when larger documents are sent/received. Same for IIS: Antivirus Exclusion List for ASP.NET applications hosted on IIS - Microsoft Community Hub

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Another thing: Implement the Database Integrity Check and Index Optimization tasks from Ola Hallengren's Maintenance Solution. If you are on SQL Server Express, read my blog article about Implementing Ola Hallengren's Maintenance Solution on SQL Server Express.

Happy DNNing!
              Michael

Michael Tobisch
              DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
              DNN Connect

New Around Here

I have RDP access to server.
                server specifications:
                windows server 2016
                NVME disk
                Common KVM processor 3GHZ (2 processors)
                16gb ram
                some virtual machine installed, not sure what, i guess this is problem and sysadmin messed up something here that it's so slow.

DNN can't run normally on server that is 3x slower than some average office computer.
                you agree right?

is there some more reliable speed test to compare two computers for speed? do you recommend some free app?

Advanced Member

The host is probably doing overbooking. This means more CPU's are assigned to VM's compared to the physical amount. If that happens you get very bad performance. The specs you mentioned are those for the Host? What specs does the VM have?

Mariette Knap
                  Microsoft MVP Alumni

Veteran Member

Posted By tosko on 11/24/2022 12:16 PM
                    I have RDP access to server.
                    server specifications:
                    windows server 2016
                    NVME disk
                    Common KVM processor 3GHZ (2 processors)
                    16gb ram
                    some virtual machine installed, not sure what, i guess this is problem and sysadmin messed up something here that it's so slow.

DNN can't run normally on server that is 3x slower than some average office computer.
                    you agree right?

is there some more reliable speed test to compare two computers for speed? do you recommend some free app?

Those specs aren't horrible... I'd start looking into what Mariette and Michael suggested now.  :)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved